Dr Didier Danillon
Chartered Psychologist - Couple Therapist
Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
Chartered member of the British Psychological Society (BPS).
. Born in France, I have lived in the UK for over 20 years, and I am very proud to call it my home. From an early age I have been reflecting, thinking and analysing, exploring science (biology) and social /human sciences (psychology, philosophy, literature, religions), trying to understand what life is about. I am still searching and learning.
. I first trained in France in Biochemistry and gained a master degree, and further qualifications, in protein engineering. I came to the UK to pursue a scientific career in the pharmaceutical industry, conducting bio-medical research for the development of new drugs.
. In parallel to my scientific career in the UK, I started training in psychology to satisfy my curiosity about understanding people, and to chase my life-long dream to become a psychotherapist. After over 10 years of studying psychology and counselling, I qualified from the professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology at the University of Manchester.
. In recent years, I have continued to learn, practicing mindfulness and yoga, and exploring Buddhist philosophy.
. I am a helper at heart. I am ‘an empath’, and being a psychotherapist feels like home. While, like anyone, I need to make a living, making as much money as I possibly can is not my goal. My passion is to connect with people at a deep level. This is what I value most in my work, and the foundation of my practice. Therapy is first and foremost a relationship. In my work with you, I will always keep the focus on you, and I will engage you in a genuine relationship. This is why I called my private practice Personal Psychology.
. Cancer research forms the largest part of my (former) scientific career. As a psychologist, I am deeply committed to caring for those affected by cancer: patients, their families, and the staff who care for them. I have extensive experience of working in cancer care. I first started my practice as a trainee psychologist at The Christie Private Care, within the Christie Hospital in Manchester. I still work there to this day.
. I value working with people from all walks of life. I was a volunteer on the Samaritans helpline for 7 years. Offering support on this helpline was both humbling and uplifting. I greatly appreciate this organisation and the people who give their time to help those in distress.
. I have trained in psychology, counselling, and couple counselling for over 10 years, in multiple settings (including several NHS mental health services). I am highly skilled in helping adults of all ages with a broad range of mental health difficulties (including multiple forms of anxiety, stress, depression, low self-esteem, relationship crises, anger management, traumatic events, psychological abuse, and bereavement). I am also trained to help couples in crisis restore their connection and start again.
. I am a guest lecturer on the professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology at the University of Manchester, on a variety of topics, including working with older adults, working around death and with bereavement, and conducting mixed-methods research.
- Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology (DCounsPsych) from the University of Manchester.
- Clinical training in Imago Relationship Therapy (couple therapy)
- Level-2 clinical training in Internal Family Systems (IFS)
- Intermediate training in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- BPS-Accredited Clinical Supervision Training (University of Manchester).
- Mindfulness: 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction course for Therapists and Healthcare Professionals (University of Manchester).
- Certified Stop-Smoking Practitioner (NCSCT)
- HCPC-registered Counselling Psychologist. The HCPC is the UK regulator for health, psychological and social work professionals.
- Chartered member of the British Psychological Society(BPS), the representative professional body for psychology in the UK.
- I am a member of Imago UK (Imago Relationship Therapy).